Monday, May 24, 2010

Meatless Monday


We're going to give this "Meatless Mondays" idea a try. It should help our waistlines as well as out budget (although I'm not saying that fresh veggies are cheap, ya know?). If it helps the planet, so much the better.
Today I used a conglomeration of recipes I looked at. First, I roasted three sweet potatoes at 425 for about 55 minutes, until they were nice and mushy inside. To the mashed taters I added about a teaspoon of chipotle powder and about 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese. I didn't measure those - I added according to visual and tastebud approval. Added a little salt & pepper, and put 1 teaspoon filling in the middle of a wonton wrapper. Then I wet the edges of the wrapper and affixed another wrapper on top and sealed them. I used a fluted pastry wheel to trim the edges up pretty-like.
The sauce I got from this site: http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com/2009/10/sweet-potato-ravioli-and-spinach-in.html. I substituted half-and-half for the heavy cream.
It was OUTSTANDING!! I might add just a tad more chipotle to the ravioli the next time around. It was discernible, but pretty tame. I don't want overpowering, I just want a little better balance to the sweetness of the potato and cheese.
For dessert, I had made blackberry frozen yogurt from these directions: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/berry_frozen_yogurt.html. After churning it in the ice cream machine, I turned it out into a purchased chocolate graham cracker pie crust. It's very tasty, but the directions did not mention straining after processing the berries, and next time I would add that step as the seeds were very noticeable and they took something away from the enjoyment of the dessert (like "crunch" when chewing, for instance).

No comments:

Post a Comment